Re: Which Linux + screen reader to choose?

  • From: Daniel Dalton <d.dalton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind programming <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 21:55:53 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008, Octavian Rasnita wrote:

I like in Red Hat/Fedora the fact that we can install programs using yum.
Does Ubuntu have such an updater?

Of course! Ubuntu is based on debian, they both use apt... (advanced packaging tool I believe)
Apparently its meant to be a lot better than yum and have a bigger repo...

And I like that Red Hat offers pre-build perl libraries which can be installed faster with yum (although perl is not compiled very well under some Red Hat distros).

Well yes, apt would probably have them as well as lots of libs and stuff... It has search features, dist-upgrade upgrade and update as well as purge, remove install show and lots more... We use apt-get and aptitude...

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/
<d.dalton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>