Question: Compiling straight c++ in Visual studio 2010 express c++

  • From: Alex Midence <alex.midence@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 14:22:09 -0500

Hi, folks,

I have a question to pose to you all. First, though, a long-neglected introduction. My name is Alex Midence and I am a trainer by profession. I have recently taken up learning how to code as something of a hobby in response to a rather unpleasant run-in with a slew of inaccessible applications. I will trace the somewhat convoluted path for you all some day. For now, though, suffice it to say that I have chosen c++ as the language I wish to learn first. I've found all sorts of nifty tutorials on line to get me started. HOwever, they all seem to have one thing in common which leads to my question.

All of the tutorials I've come across including the one in msdn.com teach you standard c++. I've downloaded two compilers and can't get the simple programs I'm learning to write to compile in either one of them even though I've checked and rechecked my syntax. The compilers are visual studioo c++ express 2010 and Eclipse. Visual Studio 2010 keeps giving me a "code out of date" message and, Eclipse just doesn't run the app because maybe I have a mssing component or something. I can't figure that one out and I've sort of given up on it for now so I can concentrate on Visual c++ since it seems to be the compiler of choice for many develpers out there. Here is my code. Could someone please tell me what's wrong with it? Incidentally, Seamonkey, the e-mail client I use keeps weeding out the braces, so, I wrote them out so someone using speech would hear where they were. Of course, in the editor, I use the real braces. It's a simple, hello, world-type program:

// Alex's first program.

#include <iostream>

Using Namespace std;
Int main();
{Left brace
cout << "Hello, World." endl;
cout << "This is a c++ program written by alex.";
return 0;
Right brace

Any help you can provide is welcome and greatly appreciated.}

Regards,
Alex