Online course question?

  • From: Char <charvor@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 12:49:39 -0500

Hello. I'm new to the list, so apologize if this is something that's been covered to death, or not on topic. If there's somewhere I should go to ask this, let me know.

I'm a totally blind stay-at-home mom, living in Canada, whose decided to go back to school to learn computer programming/IT. I am an experienced computer user, but have little knowledge in this particular field, although it's interested me for some time.

Because of kids, etc, I need to take an online program. Here are my questions:

1. What type is best/most marketable? A certificate which tends to be very focused on one language/idea, or a degree type, which is more generalized. [I'm leaning towards the degree. Is it a waste of time/money, or more likely to get me work?] If I should focus on a specific language/area, etc, which one? 2. Can you tell me any good online schools/colleges for this? I've looked at several, but am looking for recommendations as to which ones offer the best programs. 3. About textbooks, etc. Is it possible to get any/most in digital formats? If not, will scanning the book provide me with enough accuracy when it comes to formatting and punctuation, etc?

Thanks so much for your help!

Char