Re: Language behind BitTorrent

  • From: "Marlon Brandão de Sousa" <splyt.lists@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 09:41:05 -0200

Hello Jamal,
If they're using the win32 api I see no reazons to rewrite parts of
the C runtime library, since they can just link to the Microsoft one
as a dll, and this is guaranteed to be present in almost every windows
instalation, thus making necessary only the distribution of the
executable.
What I like about C and c++ is that ... yes, most part of languages
now adays are more apropriate to use in most part of situations, if we
take in acount the sppeed and the easier interface they offer ... but
when a really special requirement comes, when a really complex need
arises, when something pretty hard, fast and stable needs to be done,
then C and c++ are there, ready to be used and provide a way to solve
the problem. I don't think C is used to most part of things now adays,
but when no other language can provide a solution for a big problem C
is still there.
This creates a strange situation, in the sense that a C developper
won't meet a very big market for emploiment, if we compare it with,
let's say, the java one, but a C developer will ikely be necessary in
a complex or very low level senarius, and then the C developper will
need to really know what he /r she is doing, because whatever it is it
won't work if the developer isn't good enough. I think that, if you're
to work with C, there's no a mid place to stay ... or you're very good
on it or you won't succeed in finding a job or having satisfactory
results in your programs ...
Marlon
2007/12/2, Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Octavian's question about this got me Googling for answers, and I think I
> found one at
> http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#How_can_.C2.B5Torrent_be_so_small_and_so_fast.3F
>
> Before the current, 6.0 version BitTorrent was open source written in
> Python with GTK as a GUI library.  Now it is proprietary, closed C++ code
> that omits standard C++ libraries, replacing them with custom routines as
> needed (the company bought the "UTorrent/MuTorrent" codebase and is now
> using it instead).  The executable is then compressed with the Ultimate
> Packer for Executables utility (UPX).
>
> Thus, BitTorrent shows how small and fast a C++ application can be.
> Realistically, however, this approach is only for C++ experts who can
> selectively write all needed low level routines so that the standard
> libraries may be omitted.  I assume that BitTorrent uses the Win32 API
> directly for building user interface elements, which also requires expert
> C++ coding with only the memory structures and window messages needed.
>
> Jamal

free."
Linus Torvalds