RE: Labelling icons

  • From: "Rasmussen, Lloyd" <lras@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 10:48:10 -0500

Here is my understanding of the situation, which might not be totally correct:

This is a complex problem, especially if you are creating Java applications or
applets which will run on client computers, and not Java that serves up web
pages with which the users interact.  In the case of Java running on the user's
computer, Java Access Bridge is needed to work with JAWS, and its support seems
to be diminishing over time.  And this approach doesn't work at all with
Window-Eyes or System Access.  I guess it works with NVDA.  A Window-Eyes
approach is being worked on by one developer, who is not in good health, which
bypasses the access bridge and goes directly into the Java Accessibility
Framework.  In my opinion, whoever works on this needs to do some research,
including the potential users of the software over time, and not believe
everything they hear until they test it.

Swat probably means the Standard Widgets Toolkit, which requires developers to
set things up so that the application uses GUI components specific to the
operating system on which the Java application will run.  This approach, when
used in Windows, can produce programs having standard Windows controls, with no
need for an access bridge or linking into the Java Accessibility Framework.  I
have heard that this approach is harder to code, although it is being
successfully used in some projects.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Project Engineer
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress   202-707-0535
http://www.loc.gov/nls
The preceding opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of the
Library of Congress, NLS.