Image backup and recovery, was Re: Looking for good replacement for Windows OneCare

  • From: chris hallsworth <christopherh40@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 21:11:12 +0100

Oops, forgot to change the subject.

Chris Hallsworth
MSN: ch9675@xxxxxxxxxxx
Skype: chrishallsworth7266

On 11/05/2010 21:07, chris hallsworth wrote:
Windows 7 includes an image backup and recovery tool free of charge.
It's part of the improved Backup and Restore Centre.

Chris Hallsworth
MSN: ch9675@xxxxxxxxxxx
Skype: chrishallsworth7266

On 11/05/2010 0:46, Donald Marang wrote:
Is there a reason why you would not want to use the anti-virus / malware
solution that is an improved version of One Care? Microsoft Security
Essentials is the free natural follow on product. It works great and is
rated better than One Care was. I personally use the Windows Firewall as
well. Even the Windows Firewall is too restrictive for me when I try out
certain media streaming and sharing protocols. I can not imagine having
a very restrictive firewall, as most paid versions are. All routers
provide some protection, but not invincible.
I use Image For Windows from TerabyteUnlimited.com to make regular disk
image backups. It costs about $40 outright, not a yearly subscription.
After all, real peace of mind comes from a solid backup strategy. The
only sure way to clean out a virus is to restore a known good image or
install everything from scratch! I thought that was worth $40. If you do
not there are other good solutions, some are even free. In addition, I
keep synched copies of all data to another computer in the house using
Karen's
replicator.
Don Marang