Re: How to detect screen readers for a webpage?

  • From: "black ares" <matematicianu2003@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 10:36:40 +0200

amazon uses a very beautyfull technics here,
They do a div with that content, place it out of the visible borders of the screen, but screen readers can find it because they don't take in account the visible borders of the screen, but the entire dom document.
So, the non screen reader users don't see that notice and we can read it.
Taking in account that over 50% of users don't go to see the source of a page when they navigate over the internet, that notice is not detected.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Fred Rains" <fred58@xxxxxxx>
On 2010-02-12, at 1:35 PM, Robert Jaquiss wrote:

Hello List:

     I am in the process of revamping the web site for VIEW
International Foundation. I would like to include some audio files. I
observe that when an audio file is activated, JAWS is still talking
about the page. Is there a way to detect a screen reader, and either
wait five seconds or figure out when it is done talking before playing
the audio? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Robert Jaquiss