Re: How to detect screen readers for a webpage?

This does seem feasible. Could you point me somewhere where a site does this though? I'm curious and have never seen a webpage detect any of the AT I'm using.

Jared

On 2/12/2010 1:51 PM, DaShiell, Jude T. CIV NAVAIR 1490, 1, 26 wrote:
In that case, will anyone please explain to me why it is on Government
Web sites I get messages about jaws having been detected?  Provided
screen readers get installed in expected default folders, it ought to be
possible to search a connecting hard drive for the series of folders
that hold screen reader executable files and other support files then
act accordingly

Rot47:<;F56]52D9:6==@?2GJ]>:=>
-----Original Message-----
From: programmingblind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:programmingblind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of E.J. Zufelt
Sent: Friday, February 12, 2010 13:42
To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: How to detect screen readers for a webpage?

Good afternoon Robert,

In short, no.  There is no way to detect the use of a screen-reader from
a web-page.

HTH,

Everett

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/ezufelt

View my LinkedIn Profile
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ezufelt

On 2010-02-12, at 1:35 PM, Robert Jaquiss wrote:

        Hello List:

             I am in the process of revamping the web site for VIEW
International Foundation. I would like to include some audio files. I
observe that when an audio file is activated, JAWS is still talking
about the page. Is there a way to detect a screen reader, and either
wait five seconds or figure out when it is done talking before playing
the audio? Thanks in advance.

        Regards,

        Robert Jaquiss