Re: Flight or Space Shuttle sim

  • From: "Will Pearson" <will@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 21:39:28 -0000

Hi John,

The idea of making a flight sim accessible is still very much an idea until I can find the time to do it; however, thanks for the suggestion of making an open source game accessible as it's not something that I had thought of and certainly something worth investigating.

Whilst I'm not a games developer I've done quite a lot of work with simulating physics in the past. My current field of research in haptics and collaborative virtual environments, and these use some of the same technologies as games, such as collision detection and physics simulation. I'm surprised that no games for the blind have made use of these technologies yet. Whilst they are quite time consuming to write yourself you don't really need to write them yourself unless you enjoy inflicting pain on yourself. There are open source physics engines available, such as the Open Dynamics Engine (ODE), as well as open source scene graphs, such as Open Scene Graph (OSG), plus there are commercial packages available, such as Havok, which Intel have recently brought out. All will save you a lot of time and pain over writing scene graphs and physics simulations yourself.

Will __________ View the list's information and change your settings at //www.freelists.org/list/programmingblind