Re: Flight or Space Shuttle sim

  • From: "Matthew2007" <matthew2007@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 12:57:59 -0800

Will,

yes, After I sent my message I thought it was way too simplistic for a guy like you to want to create just a greakin game. It did cross my mind that the cognitive processes involved in a blind person finding their physical position in space is very similar to the visual spatial awareness one would need when playing a flight simulation game. Though this is of course all hypothetical at this point since the reference area is constant in a video game, and as we all know very well there is absolutely no relying on a known path to stay constant in the real world. It just seems like a tremendous investment of time to do it this way when there is tons, I mean tons of research involving visual spatial awareness and ability dating back to Helmholz, Tichner, Weber, and Mr. Eugenics himself Galton. what I think you might want to review is the research from that blind guy who walks around whistling in order to create a type of sonar. He claims his technique is very effective though he sites very old research and I don't think he has any empirical evidence his technique actually works. I do remember talking to his business partner who invented some sort of metronome sound generator that emits a constant sound. He said you would wear this on your head or like a necklace and this thing would generate whistles loud enough to bounce off walls and objects in effect creating the sonar the blind individual would use to navigate their way around the immediate, and he claims, distant environment. I asked the guy selling his audio tone emitter about the volume of the tone and how freaky one would look walking down the street making so much noise. He asked me: "Don't you think a blind person walking and swinging around a 4 foot long stick look odd to people?" I of course told him "no." The general public has been exposed to blind people enough to know the technique they use to navigate around their environment. After this call and interaction with this engineer I moved on as I didn't think his device would be of any true benefit for the majority of blind pedestrians.

Matthew
----- Original Message ----- From: "Will Pearson" <will@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rick Harmon" <rickharmon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date sent: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 19:04:45 -0500

Matthew,

It seems as if you aren't willing to give someone qualified to do
their job
a chance if they are blind?  I hope this isn't so since you are
blind
yourself.  I'd hate to see someone discriminate against you soely
because of
your being blind.  I know I don't want to be discriminated
against soley
because of my being blind.  I'm not sure if your just trying to
prove a
point or your really meaning what you've said in your posts.  You
said you
wouldn't have a blind lawyer and now a blind doctor either.
Please explain.

If someone is qualified to do their job then it's simply not fair
to say you
wouldn't allow them to do their job for you based on the fact
they are
blind.

Thanks,

Rick