Re: Cygwin, JAWS and NVDA

  • From: Alex Midence <alex.midence@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 12:38:13 -0600

Hi, Oyvind,

Well, Orca has gotten a bit faster recently.  I'm currently running
2.91.6 which was the latest build.  I built it up from source.  Web
browsing is not something I would recommend with Orca if you want
rapid browsing such as you are used to in Windows though this is
actually getting steadily better but a lot of other stuff works ok.
These days, most of my web browsing in Linux is done from the console
(Lynx, w3m( and, as of a couple of days ago, in Emacspeak using Emacs
W3  Works well.  What I was recommending wasn't necessarily using Orca
but, rather opening Emacspeak in a terminal, quitting Orca and running
a shell from within emacspeak.  Another thing you could do is run Yasr
in the Gnome terminal instead of Orca.  yasr is designed for running
in a terminal/console though I don't know anything about the braille
support.  You would not need Emacspeak in this case.  You may find it
more responsive than Orca in this environment.  Vinux 3.0 has all
three screen readers pre-installed, Orca, Speakup and Yasr so you can
take your pick of what tool to use for which function.  I frequently
jump from one to the other depending on what I want to do.  It's
pretty seemless too and they fill in each others gaps most amazingly
so that you have accessibility no matter the environment.  Since they
run in places independent of each other, you can have them all loaded
at the same time and there's no conflict.  I also have Emacspeak going
and use it for things the other stuff won't give me like text
manipulation.  You'd have to set up your own Emacspeak though.  I
assume you know how to do that but, in case you don't:

(Verry generic Debian based way.  In Vinux, it's a bit more complex.)
apt-get install emacs
apt-get install emacspeak

Now then, you know the best of all solutions is to run Linux natively
and go from there.  Nothing beats that option if what you want is
seemless speed.  You always trade something for trying to walk the
fence, you know.  If you need windows for stuff, you could use a dual
boot option.  You could even do all sorts of cutting and pasting in
the console if you are running Gnu Screen if you prefer the console to
the gui terminal.  You probably know all this already though.

Best regards,
Alex M