508 Question

  • From: "Homme, James" <james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 09:23:28 -0400

Hi,
Paragraph (l) of the Section 508 web standards reads as follows.
When pages utilize scripting languages to display content, or to create
interface elements, the information provided by the script shall be identified
with functional text that can be read by assistive technology.
I'm focusing on the word "identified" in that paragraph. This sounds like that
assistive technology only needs to know that script elements exist, not that it
necessarily needs to be able to use those elements. Note that I'm only going on
the language of the paragraph, not how I think that pages with scripts should
function, as in assistive technology should be able to work with the script
elements besides identify them. My question is how do you interpret this
paragraph?
Thanks.
Jim

Jim Homme, Usability Engineering.