[procps] Re: top: NUMA node CPU utilization support

  • From: Craig Small <csmall-procps@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: procps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 08:44:25 +1000

Remember that this is all about is numa support on by default, not that
numa support exists or not.

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 01:39:25AM -0500, Jim Warner wrote:
> What worries me is how many distros may not bother to enable numa support
> even though they ship libnuma anyway.
There's a difference between shipping libnuma and where in the
priorities of different packages libnuma sits.  If a specific
distribution wants to enable it, they can very simply.  If a maintainer
for a specific distribution missed the enable and someone needs it, they
can raise a bug report within that distribution.

I had a quick look at the reverse dependencies of libnuma1 on a Debian
system and its a very small list. In fact if you remove libvirt related
packages its even smaller. This means most Debian systems would not
have it installed.  I assume its the same for most other distributions
too.

> My instincts tell me this is a very important procps enhancement.  Currently
> there is no easy way to quickly assess cpu usage in those environments where
> numa is likely to be used (massively parallel machines).
Which for the vast majority of users means its completely useless. I've
run Linux systems since the early 90s, sometimes data centres of them,
and never come across such devices. I know they exist, but for most
people they don't run them.

That certainly does not mean the change should not be included and is
probably essential for a certain group of people. That's why the changes
should be in but turned off by default.

The option on by default means a build system that compiles 3.3.7 will
not compile 3.3.8; sure they have to add a new dependency but for what
gain? It fails path of least surprise test.

> Looks like you'll have to make the final call.
Remember this is the default behaviour and in my opinion it should be
off by default. A --enable-numa at configure time enables the numa
feature.

 - Craig
--
Craig Small VK2XLZ   http://enc.com.au/          csmall at : enc.com.au