[procps] Re: top: NUMA node CPU utilization support

  • From: Lance Shelton <LShelton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "procps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <procps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 10:43:41 -0600

Craig,

Thanks for pushing the changes.  This will be helpful to many people.

Current Intel processors support up to 10 cores within a single socket,
which appears as 20 CPUs in top with Hyperthreading enabled.  While
8-socket servers like the HP DL980 and 4-socket servers like the DL580 and
DL585 are not the norm, dual-socket servers are very common.  In
particular, the HP DL380 is prevalent, but I have also run into Dell's
R620/R720 and some SuperMicro servers.

Next year may bring Intel Ivy Bridge-EX, which is reported to support up
to 15 cores (30 Hyperthreads) in a single socket.

Development on any of these can benefit from the organizational display of
CPU usage into NUMA nodes.  There has been a lot of NUMA work going on in
Linux recently, and anyone working in this domain will appreciate having
better integrated tools.

Lance

On 4/14/13 8:46 AM, "Craig Small" <csmall-procps@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 07:40:10AM -0500, Jim Warner wrote:
>> But I worry that Werner may have un-subscribed.  Wish I has CC'd him...
>Might be worth doing, Werner was always the one coming up with machines
>with insane number of CPUs.
>
> - Craig
>
>--
>Craig Small VK2XLZ   http://enc.com.au/          csmall at : enc.com.au
>Debian GNU/Linux     http://www.debian.org/      csmall at : debian.org
>GPG fingerprint:     5D2F B320 B825 D939 04D2  0519 3938 F96B DF50 FEA5

This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may be privileged.  Any
unauthorized use, copying, disclosure or dissemination of this communication is
prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient,  please notify the sender
immediately and delete all copies of the message and its attachments.