[pov] Re: Photo Elements/Lightroom ?

  • From: Michael Elenko <michael.elenko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pov@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 11:08:36 -0800

Karlista,

1. Elements 6 came out 8 years ago, so I'm impressed you were able to fully use
it until very recently.

2. Lightroom is very popular, but represents a somewhat different approach to
processing images. It is a whole workflow management tool that brings together
organizing, developing (processing), and outputting images. Outputting includes
slideshows, web, prints, books, and maps. Elements really had only rudimentary
organization, processing, and basic printing.

3. As John said, there is a significant learning curve to Lightroom, but once
you "get" it, you live by it.

4. Whether Lightroom is for you depends on your needs and how you process
images. If you don't need to catalog a lot of pictures in ways that make it
easy to retrieve something quickly a year later, then that may not have value
to you.  Lightroom does outstanding processing of images, but if your way of
work is heavily based on layers (and for you I doubt it as Elements had limited
layers at best), then you will be frustrated. To enjoy Lightroom, you have to
surrender your way of working to the tool. A lot of people need that, including
me.

5. The $20 per month is for a subscription plan that also includes a bunch of
other Adobe applications that you may not need. Adobe has moved a lot of their
professional software to an online subscription model. The good thing is that
you only pay for the months you need the software.  They also update the
software with improved stuff regularly. The images are still yours and you can
edit them on other maker's software. The bad thing is that you don't "own" the
software and need an Internet connection at least once per month to validate
your license. And you pay forever.

They have said that Lightroom will continue to be sold retail like we are used
to. You can still buy a retail version of Lightroom 5 for $150 today, but i've
seen it on sale for $89-100 frequently. If you have a student or teacher in
your family perhaps they can get you the $80 education version that is the
same. With holiday sales coming up, I'd be on alert at the many online deal
sites.

6. You can download a fully functional version of Lightroom for 30-days for
free.  There are lots of online tutorials and help as it is the most popular
photo processing software now that doesn't come free with something else.

ME
On Nov 23, 2014, at 8:39 AM, Karlista Rickerson <karlista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have had to up grade my MAC to Yosemite and that meant up grading my  Photo
> Elements. Now I find that I need Elements 13 (which I am on a trial use now)
> but I can  not create a slide show unless I get the Premier  edition.
> If I try to download that part I get a message that I have to download 13
> first, which I already have.
> Where does Lightroom fit in? Is it a different program all together?
> Which is easier to use?
> Why does it cost $20 per month?
> Any suggestions?
> Karlista
> PS Life was so much easier with Photo Elements 6 - it had all that I needed
> and then some.pov@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> All replies default to the entire POV list.
>
> To reply to the specific sender, make sure the sender's email address is the
> only one in the To: field
> of your email application.

Michael Elenko
Eye In The Triangle Photography