[phoenixchoralesc] Re: Bylaws

  • From: Linda Atherton <l.atherton@xxxxxxx>
  • To: phoenixchoralesc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2015 11:31:15 -0400

RE: NON-SINGING MEMBERS -- I would like to have that option available to people who are enthusiastic about the chorale, but are not musical enough to sing with us, yet would like to play a more substantial role than just sending us checks occasionally. I think having them as voting members is a great idea. It remains to be seen whether or not anyone will participate that way, but the option should be there just in case. Remember, this group would also include singers who can't sing with us because of Thursday night conflicts, yet are committed enough to want to support us on a regular basis.

BYLAW NOTES:

General
1. Anywhere there is a number, write it out followed by the number in parentheses.
2. Remove "the" from in front of "Phoenix Chorale Portland." It's in there several times.
3. Article 5(b) - resolve contradictory wording in (1) and (2) as to who presides over Board meetings.
4. Capitalize "Bylaws" in Article 5(c).
5. Change "reasonable" to "reasonably" in Article 5(m).
6. Renumber Articles 8 - 12. (7 was skipped)

Specific
1. As decided at Wed meeting, add that VP overseas membership in Article 5(b)(2).
2. Article 5(b)(3) - add that Treasurer, in addtion to Form 990, will also file Quarterly Employment Tax documents (or maintain on file proof of Independent Contractor status) for all employees.
3. Article 5(e) - add email and telephone to list of annual meeting notice delivery methods.
4. Article 6(d) - insert "strongly" between "is" and "recommended" at beginning of sentence.
5. Article 8 - says 2 weeks notice, conflicts with Article 5(d), which says 1 week
6. Article 9(a) - include in list of documents, all records relating to tax exempt status and all corporate organizing documents.

Questions for Attorney
1. Are we required to allow public access to documents? If so, does this have to be stated in Bylaws?
2. Is Article 11 statement sufficient to protect Directors from fiduciary liability?
3. Do members of the corporation not on the Board have any fiduciary liability? If so, will a clause similar to Article 11 protect them?

And there you have it, my 2.076¢-worth.

THANKS DEIRDRE FOR SLOGGING THROUGH THE BYLAWS FOR US!!!!!!!

Linda

On Aug 6, 2015, at 3:23 PM, Deirdre McClure wrote:

The bylaws are the heart of the institution, and it is good to question everything about them.

That said, from what I've read, membership looks pretty standard in groups like ours. That does not mean we need to replicate something we don't want, but we would have to come up with a different model.

Deirdre

On Aug 6, 2015, at 1:32 PM, Leigh Mundhenk <mundhenk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

As much as I know we need money, I really cannot think of a justifiable reason why we would even have members who are not singers. I would perhaps refer to them as friends, and be grateful for any donations they would give us.

On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 12:19 PM, Margaret L. Merrill <mloringme@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My thoughts -

Russ brings up some excellent points -
Define Quorum
PO box
Non-discriminatory Policy
define membership - who they are
Leigh’s point - why non-singing members would pay dues

Margaret

--
Leigh G. Mundhenk, PhD
Consultant/Coach/Trainer