[phoenix-project] Re: Online Phoenix

  • From: Ajith Kumar <ajith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: phoenix-project@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 06:45:43 +0000

Sasidharan vk wrote:

I don't know python or any other programming language. I am a Physics teacher. I have seen Java applets where the user gets an interface with controls for changing the variables in an experiment. Variables for instance, the capacitance of a capacitor or length of a pendulum or the mass of a falling body or the like. the result will be processed internally using some algorithm and presented in a convincing manner. The mathematical expressions behind the model or charts or graphs can be displayed. Here, if an experimental set up is interfaced somewhere with a computer and the user is "inputting" or clicking a word or button on his computer say, "*/Charge" /*and suddenly a graph appears which does not communicate anything meaningful to the user. What difference does it make if the python robot is actually changing the experimental setup in the remote computer? What is the role and relevance of Phoenix in this if the same result can be displayed through simulation?

The web version is just to give an idea about what you can do with Phoenix if you have the box. Some people are working on web based experiments with the idea of sharing costly equipment that way. As far as Phoenix is concerned
it serves only things like:
1) A demo that shows the user what he can do with it (sales promotion !!!)
2) Setup some benchmark experiments so that the actual users can compare their results. For example, I can
machine a precise pendulum and make it available online
3) It is possible to keep a radiation detection system online so that the users can actually count the particles for different time periods to see the statistical fluctuations or monitor the energy spectrum. Not very many have
such equipment at their disposal.

The MOST important thing is, it does not cost anything at the moment. There is no dedicated server, it runs on the same machine I use for other things. The Program <http://www.iuac.res.in/phoenix/cap.py> has been developed within one day. The new live CD will have it and you can run it from a LAN in the classroom.

Simulations are different, those who write them learn the topic well. If you know how to formulate the problem mathematically, writing is not very difficult. New Phoenix CD contains several examples of simulation.

ajith

vks

On Dec 13, 2007 8:13 PM, Kishore Asok <kishore.asok@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:kishore.asok@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    >>No try changing delay also.

    That's great!

    >>If you want to change the capacitor also, send me a python
    controlled Robot to do that.

    Hehe! I saw that only now!

    Regards,
    Kishore