[phoenix-project] Re: Can we do experiments like simple pendulum oscillations to study dumping factor.

  • From: Ambar Chatterjee <drambar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Shashidharan Nair <ck.shashidharan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 11:03:59 +0530

Dear Shashidharan Nair,

The decrease in amplitude is visible. However your question is a bit
deeper. There is a dependency on the coil placement. One can work out the
emf induced in the coil d(Phi)/dt . Since the magnet enters the coil at its
centre initilally and later gradually the periphery, it is the rate of fall
of the induced magnetic field that will decide the issue. It will be only
approximately linear, that too for the first few oscillations. When the
amplitude of the oscillations decreases further the, fall off in the
oscilloscope trace will die out faster than the decrease in amplitiude.

This method (induced emf) cannot give a precise measurement of damping. It
can only illustrate it. For a precise measurement of amplitude fall off I
think it may be better to use a motion sensor.

Best regards
A.Chatterjee

On Sat, Dec 6, 2014 at 8:02 PM, Shashidharan Nair <ck.shashidharan@xxxxxxxxx