[phoenix-project] Re: Can we do experiments like simple pendulum oscillations to study dumping factor.

  • From: Ambar Chatterjee <drambar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jyotirling Pune <jyotirlingpune@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2014 09:04:38 +0530

Dear Jyotiriling,

Can we do simple pendulum experiments to study damping? Indeed yes. I have
started a project in BSc physics lab where we attach a magnet (supplied in
Expeyes kit) to the pendulum already being used by students, such as
torsion pendulum, compound pendulum and simple pendulum. We now place one
of the 3000T coils supplied in the kit in such a way that the magnet enters
inside the coils and leaves at every oscillation. So long as there are
several oscillations within 3 sec, we can produce an oscilloscope trace
that shows several cycles of oscillations. See Fig 6.2 on page 84 of the
expEYES manual. Analysis of this trace allows calculation of the damping
factor gamma as in exp(-gamma*t). To overcome the 3 sec limitation of
oscilloscope trace,  we can use a python script with get_voltage and PC
clock. We can also use the LED and photo-sensor method as shown in Fig 4.5
(page 62).

By the way, it is also nice to do the complete Lissajous figures experiment
(not just ellipse) by utilizing the 2 audio outputs (stereo output) of a
standard PC/laptop. There is free software available to generate pure
frequencies on these two channels, and these can be varied as desired to
produce nice  Lissajous figures.

Best regards
Ambar Chatterjee

On Sat, Dec 6, 2014 at 8:33 AM, Jyotirling Pune <jyotirlingpune@xxxxxxxxx>