[pedevel] Re: Fwd: Feuture request

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pedevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 23:47:57 +0200 CEST

Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Even though all those current main stream editors support folding,
> > never found it to be of any use; it just hides information, it
> > doesn't
> > improve the overview or simplifies navigation - the function pop
> > ups
> > already do all the good things for me.
> Yep, same here. As it turned out the only thing I keep folded in
> eclipse is
> the imports list. The other stuff (functions, classes, etc.) I like
> unfolded. Having a quick navigation (like our brilliant find function
> window ;-) works better for me. Also nice would be Ctrl-Clicking on
> an
> identifier (class, function, or variable name) to jump to its
> definition.
> At least for the found functions (shortcut for double click, Ctrl-C,
> Ctrl-Shift-F, Ctrl-V, Return)

Indeed, that would be a nice feature.
BTW I also wouldn't mind if the "switch-to-header" feature would be a
bit more intelligent, and for example also do a name based search in
the open windows (ignoring the fact that the header file might be in a
different directory).

> I've come to like the way it works in eclipse -- a tab per file
> editor
> (actually "view on something") and an additional menu when there are
> more
> files than the fitting tabs -- but that's a completely different
> concept. I

I actually never liked the tabs too much - they work really fine until
you have more documents open than fit in a single line. At least they
are no substitute for workspaces with multiple windows, IMO.

> wouldn't squeeze more into a Pe document window. I don't even use the
> vertical splitter because it divides my reasonably sized window into
> two
> too small halfs. What would be nice is:

I often use that to have a peak at a structure/class definition while
using or changing it somewhere below. It's only very irritating that
when you close a view, the view that stays is always the view where the
cursor is - no matter if you just enlarged the other one to fill the
window.

> * A "find function" window like document list window to quickly jump
> another open window without needing to use the mouse (maybe even
> minimizing
> the current window).

There is always Alt-[1-9] but you're right, it often doesn't work that
nice.

> * A way to have one file displayed in different windows. This would
> probably require a stricter MVC separation than we have at the moment
> (virtually none ;-).
>
> * A browser-like previous/next navigation feature for viewing/edition
> positions (spanning documents).
>
> Oh, not really related but nice too:
>
> * A short-cut to duplicate the current line (or if there's a
> selection,
> block of all touched lines). Selecting + Copy + Paste is not the
> same,
> since it replaces the clipboard contents.

Why not :-)

Bye,
   Axel.