Re: [PCWorks] what if you don't see any ports in device manager

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin-OrpheusComputing.com & ComputersCustomBuilt.com" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 07:25:40 -0600

I've never tried using fax software with a modem, I've always
had a separate line.  But you can check in the mobo's BIOS and
make sure all the COM/serial ports are enabled.  If they are,
most BIOS's also have the option to change the serial ports'
IRQ and protocol that may help.

What Hugh said may do the trick, because most people install
their ISP software with the modem (which is rarely needed) that
always has something running in the background that's not
needed, or if it is it has to be disabled in order to free up
the resource.  There also may be settings in the fax software
that allow you to choose different ports.

There could also be an XP Service that has to be started in
order for it to work.  I looked through mine and didn't see
anything about fax support, but there are several with "remote"
in their descriptions that may have to be enabled.  Open
Services and click "Action" on the toolbar then "Export list"
for a fast way of searching the text for "remote".  It's a bit
hard to read, but you can at least search it for "remote" then
check to see if any of those Services may need to be enabled.

Larry aren't you on DSL now?  You also have a dialup modem
hooked up?  Search this page
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/13953 for "Re:
Lexmark Printer Problems by FK (5/16/05 6:11 PM)" or "DSL" and
check that out.
-Clint

God Bless
Clint Hamilton, Owner