Re: [PCWorks] How can you get IP addresses to work in the Hosts file?

  • From: Hugh Vandervoort <hughv2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 11:11:40 -0400

"What it does ...
The Hosts file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names.
This file is loaded into memory (cache) at startup, then Windows
checks the Hosts file before it queries any DNS servers, which enables
it to override addresses in the DNS. This prevents access to the
listed sites by redirecting any connection attempts back to the local
(your) machine. Another feature of the HOSTS file is its ability to
block other applications from connecting to the Internet, providing
the entry exists."