Re: [PCWorks] Find/Replace in MSWord

  • From: David Grossman <dgrossman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 13:16:47 +0300

Hello, Harold,

I like Hugh's suggestion of searching with ???. Perhaps you'll want to use
?????, since (if I understood correctly) you also want to replace the <>
brackets in each instance.

Maybe it will work, and maybe not. Mac wildcards may behave differently from
PC wildcards.
Furthermore, Word may treat <> as special or reserved characters (for Less
Than or Greater Than), thus creating additional issues.

I'd like to add an additional step:
Search for .^p?????, and then replace with .^p

My additional procedure asks Word to replace the period from the previous
line, and then to search for the Paragraph symbol (^p) at the end of the
line, and then for the next five characters.

I also have three more bits of advice to add to the sage recommendations of
Hugh and Clint:
1. Save the file before beginning the procedure.
2. Close the file, and then back it up BEFORE trying any suggestion.
3. Don't Save the file until you are happy with the result.

David Grossman

From: "Hugh Vandervoort"

Well, maybe you can, with wildcards.
Word Help:
"Search by using wildcards
Use wildcards to find and replace

For example, use the asterisk (*) wildcard to search for a
string of
characters ("s*d" finds "sad" and "started").

On the Edit menu, click Find or Replace.
If you don't see the Use wildcards check box, click More.
Select the Use wildcards check box.
Enter a wildcard character in the Find What box. Do one of the
following:
To choose a wildcard character from a list, click Special,
click a
wildcard character, and then type any additional text in the
Find what
box.
Type a wildcard character directly in the Find what box.
If you want to replace the item, enter what you want to use as
replacement in the Replace with box.
Click Find Next, Replace, or Replace All"
Try searching for<???>. Be sure to check "Use Wildcards" .
Can't hurt to try and it seems as though it should work.