-=PCTechTalk=- partition questions

  • From: "nightsneak1" <nightsneak1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 02:03:03 -0500

This is the scenario:

My hard drive was going bad. Ordered a replacement, and due to the holiday,
it took a few more days. I received the hard drive, and was too busy with
work to do what I wanted to do in the first place, which was to cut down my
partitions and start with a clean slate, although saving my years of
documents and downloads and email. The hard drive arrived, and since I had
no time to do what I wanted to, and also due to mail volume and needing to
clear the messages off my server, I made the one going bad a slave, and used
the MaxBlast to just copy it to the new one. I now want to do my original
plan, which is to cut down the number of partitions that I have, and clean
up my 'puter.

I tried Norton Ghost before, and DriveImage, but they did not work.  I now
have time to back up stuff to CD. Many things do not conform to the Joliet
Standards as per Nero, but I seem to be able to save most of the stuff, by
either zipping or raring them.

I tried OE backup..., errors, I tried DirectCD....., errors. acckkk...

My questions are:

If I use either the MaxBlast again, or Partition Magic, how do I set up the
saved stuff to a partition that is larger now than I have set up?, allowing
me to have handy the stuff that I want to put on the new hard drive.

Is there a CD burning program to save across CD's?

MY OE is so far out of range, I would love to copy only the 200 some  empty
folders to it and leave the mega folders in a store file that I can access
later. Basically, I want to save all the messages in the old stuff, but
import the empty folders into OE.

I am sure that I have more parameters, but this will do for a start ;-P

nightsneak