-=PCTechTalk=- Windows 7 Pro or Windows 7 Ultimate? Now or wait?

  • From: David TW Chun <dtwchun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 11:38:59 -0400

Hi!

I just wanted to get some opinions on Windows 7.  Should I wait a few
months before updating?  I'm planning to upgrade eventually since I
think that I hate VISTA.  My problem with Vista is that several programs
that I want to use (currently low priority since I'm behind in things;
but will be a higher priority when I get caught up) such as Corel
Painter 4 as well as other programs won't install , or programs that
have installed won't install the upgrades, such as Corel Paint Shop Pro
Photo X2.  Another annoyance is that there are folders that are grayed
out that Vista won't let me view (which also means that I can't
manipulate/edit).  My current system is a HP desktop with a quad-core
processor, 3 GB memory, and lots of hard drive space, internal and
external.  And I set myself up as the administrator, even though it
seems that Vista has doubts about that and often won't let me install,
upgrade and view things on occasion -- but usually it will ask and then
let me run/install programs such an SlyFox's 'AnyDVD' etc.

I just saw that Amazon is offering Windows 7 Ultimate for $219 which is
just $20 more than Windows 7 Pro which is the OS version  that I was
thinking would be the minimum system that would make me happy (so I'm
sort of leaning towards Ultimate now).  I'm hoping that Windows 7 will
be a smooth upgrade that will let me dump Vista without losing my 'data'
on the 'C','E','L', 'O' etc drives.  I'm looking for an OS that will let
me do what I want with installing programs etc.  The XP option is very
attractive since I'm hoping that programs that I'm having problems
installing, but  works on my XP laptop, will  either install smoothly in
Windows 7 or in Windows 7 running under the XP mode.  I'm still using
lots of older programs such as Office 2003 (I still can't believe that
Office 2010 is about to be released -- where has the time gone?) and the
Netscape mail program.

Also, the HP computer didn't come with CD's containing the OS.  Rather,
I had to create 'restore disks'.  I liked things better in the good old
days that when you bought a computer, the computer came with disks that
had the OS.  This was good because then in case of a serious crash, such
as when your 'C' drive becomes defective and  you need to replace the
drive.  I've had desktops fail and when I tried to install the OS from
the restore disks, I found that the restore disks were somehow defective
and the only way I could use the computer was to install the OS from an
OS installation CD.  So, I'm looking forward to having the OS on  CD's
to start with, for the peace of mind.

Also, I'm hoping that Windows 7 really requires less resources so that
my 3 GB will seem like more memory (I would add more memory; but if I
understand the VISTA 32-bit version OS, the maximum is 3.6 GB anyway).

Anyway, I'm just putting this out since I suspect there is lots of
interest now that Windows 7 availability is become a 'reality' for many
of us who want to divorce ourselves from VISTA.

Thank you,

David

in the Subject.