-=PCTechTalk=- Re: win xp - purchase

  • From: "David F. Wooledge" <wooledge001@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 22:23:08 -0700 (PDT)

cris,
My Gateway Tower I am using now came with 98SE installed and came with restore
disks as well as an OEM CD of 98SE.  I used an upgrade disk when I went to ME.
I formated and reinstalled ME with that disk several times including installing
two new HDs.  I used an upgrade disk when I put XP Pro going from ME on this
system without any problem.  I have reformatted and reinstalled XP at least
twice with the upgrade disk.  The difference is that with an up grade disk you
have to prove  that you own an earlier version.  If the installation program
cannot find older version on the HD it asks that you put the older version CD
into the CD Drive so it can check to see if you have an older version.  The
complete Windows program is on the upgrade disk.  You have to show proof of
ownership of an older program because you are paying less money.  So even if
you reformat, as long as you still have the CD for the older program you can
still use an upgrade disk.  If you will be taking your cur
 rent XP
 off your old system, you can use the XP upgrade disk you already have for the
new system if you still have your ME or your 98 CD.  When you try to activate
the XP on the new system you most likely will have to call the 800 number,
explain that you have taken XP off the old computer and now want to use it on
the new computer.  You will be given a new code to type in.  If you are keeping
XP on the old system you will need to purchase a new XP disk.  If you still
have the ME or the 98 CD you can get an upgrade disk and save yourself some
money.  The complete Windows XP is on the upgrade disk.  I got my XP Pro up
grade from Gateway for much less then I found at Circuit City and Best Buy.  I
cannot now remember how much I paid, but it was less then the upgrade for XP
Home was selling for that those stores.
Dave