-=PCTechTalk=- Re: serial port

  • From: gratchie <gratchie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 23:09:13 GMT

correct me if im wrong jim but this is what it says in the=
 manual:=09
=09onboard i/o ports
=09* floppy disk drive port with 1 mb/s transfer rate
=09*One serial port with 16550-compatible fast UART
=09*One parallel port whit support for ECP and EPP

both usb ports and ps/2 ports are optional and it is not=
 currently
installed. (and i have no idea how to install it =3D(

it says one serial port, so i assumed it only has one port...

gratchie

>What happened to the second serial/com port? It's been a=
 standard to
>have 2 serial ports for many years. I can't live without 3 or 4
>myself.
>
>There nothing that will allow both devices to be used at the=
 same
>time on the same port.
>
>If you wanted to alternate between the 2 devices you could use=
>switch on either port or simply plug and unplug them when you=
 want.
>If you go the switch method the serial port switch is most=
 likely
>less expensive also keep in mind you will need a cable to
>go from the port to the switch box which adds to the price quite=
>bit. If your serial port is currently used by your mouse than=
 it's
>out of the question. Keep in mind that if your printer is on=
 the
>parallel port and you decide to use that then you won't
>be able to print while your using your modem, that is generally=
 not
>an acceptable solution either.
>
>You might find out that the cost to add another serial/com port=
 is
>less than the switch box and cable would be and is probably the=
 best
>way to go.
>
>Another option, if you have USB ports, you could get either a=
 new
>modem that's plugs into the USB port or you cold get a USB to
>serial/com port converter for around 20 to 50 bucks. The USB=
 will be
>fine as long as you only plan to use it in OS's that
>support USB. One thing to consider is a USB - HUB which=
 typically
>has 1 USB input port and 4 USB expansion ports and you can=
 usually
>find these with 2 serial ports and or a limited parallel port=
 on
>them, I actually have 2 of the Entrega 4U2S1P hubs on this
>machine, the parallel ports are useless on these but the extra=
 com
>ports are very handy.
>
>If you need to shop for USB devices check out the USB web site=
>see what's available then shop around and see what you can get.
>
>-Jim-
>

>gratchie wrote:
>>
>>hello! i need to connect my external modem with with either a
>>parallel port or serial port but the problem is that i only=
 have=3D
>>one
>>parallel and serial port. both ports are already in use for my
>>printer and mouse respectively. is there any available cable=3D
>>(like
>>splitter) for me to be able to divide my serial port or my=3D
>>parallel
>>port to have two ports? my motherboard is m598LMR socket 7. i=3D
>>checked
>>the manual and it says it only has one serial and one=
 parallel=3D

--
gratchie, gratchie@xxxxxxxxxxxx on 07/18/2002