-=PCTechTalk=- Re: offtopic,mutual fund questions

  • From: "Don" <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 03:41:13 -0800

The price of a mutual fund share is called Net Asset Value or NAV.  It is
determined, for most funds at the end of each market day.  Orders to
purchase, sell or exchange to another fund are executed at the NAV on the
day the order is received if the order is received before the market closes
or earlier for some funds.

Some funds also reserve the right to apply a fair market price to some
holdings when determining NAV.  This allows fair pricing when an event
occurs too late in the day or after market closing to have a fair impact on
the holdings price.  This is common in funds that invest internationally and
foreign events plus time zone differences can have a serious effect on asset
pricing.  This also prevents shareholders from exploiting price changes in a
market that closes a few hours than our markets do.

Google these:

NAV or Net asset value
mutual fund fair market pricing

 Don

When my sub has been approved at PC tabletalk I will shift further replies
there.