-=PCTechTalk=- Re: making upgrade on MB questions

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 20:38:59 -0700

Hi Lee,
I have an old 486DX 4/100 with 16 meg of ram running win 98se.
It does have a large hard drive though ~ 3gig.

You should be able to run Win 98 on the existing MB.

http://www3.telus.net/mikebike
See my Anti-Virus pages ~ http://virusinfo.hackfix.org

On 20/07/2002 at 8:22 PM Lee Rhodes wrote:

Now don't laugh, but I have a guy that is only down here  5 mos
out of the
year. He has an old (originally 3.1) computer that someone had
installed
Win 95 on it.  He started having problems and I tried
re-installing win 95
and it won't work right.  This machine have a 450MB Hard drive;
Cyrix
6X86MX Pr 166 CPU ; Intel 82437VX  Chipset with Winbond W83977F;
Award BIOS
128KBx8 Flash ROM. He has two DRAM chips and I forgot the total
but I think
it was 16MB.

Ok, I have some parts here and was thinking of upgrading it to put
Win98 on
it.  I have a 2.8G drive which the BIOS will take if set in LBA
Mode. I
have an AMD K6 266  CPU.......In the manual  In one section where
it's
giving the CPU's it can use it says  AMD K5,  but In this section
it says "
**For the dual-VCC required CPUs. (e.g. Intel P55C, Cyrix 6x86L,
Cyrix
6x86MX, AMD-K5-xxAH?, AMD-K5-xxAJ?, AMD-K6....etc.)  That is for
the jumper
settings for CPU VCC.   Does this mean that I could use that AMD
K6?
Also besides the 4 DRAM slots it has 2 SIMMs slots. It says: the
system
board will support two banks  main memory (bank0 and bank 1) on
board
(using 4- 72 pin SIMM socket, SIMM 1 - 4 and two 168-pin DIMM
socket, DIMM
1 - 2) each bank could be single-sided or double sided, 8MB up to
128 MB of
local memory can be attained. FPM, EDO, and SDRAM....I have some
64MB 168
SDRAM memory. With what's already in there can I add I stick of
the 168
SDRAM memory in it.

I could not copy the pages of the manual as it's in pdf format,
but I
printed those two pages out and scanned them into jpg  format
which I could
upload into the files section if that will help.

OH, the MB AZZA PT-5IVH

Lee Rhodes  lenella@xxxxxxxxxxx