-=PCTechTalk=- making upgrade on MB questions

  • From: "Lee Rhodes" <lenella@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PC Tech Talk" <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 20:22:38 -0700

Now don't laugh, but I have a guy that is only down here  5 mos out of the
year. He has an old (originally 3.1) computer that someone had installed Win 95
on it.  He started having problems and I tried re-installing win 95 and it
won't work right.  This machine have a 450MB Hard drive; Cyrix 6X86MX Pr 166
CPU ; Intel 82437VX  Chipset with Winbond W83977F; Award BIOS 128KBx8 Flash
ROM. He has two DRAM chips and I forgot the total but I think it was 16MB.

Ok, I have some parts here and was thinking of upgrading it to put Win98 on it.
 I have a 2.8G drive which the BIOS will take if set in LBA Mode. I have an AMD
K6 266  CPU.......In the manual  In one section where it's giving the CPU's it
can use it says  AMD K5,  but In this section it says " **For the dual-VCC
required CPUs. (e.g. Intel P55C, Cyrix 6x86L, Cyrix 6x86MX, AMD-K5-xxAH?,
AMD-K5-xxAJ?, AMD-K6....etc.)  That is for the jumper settings for CPU VCC.
Does this mean that I could use that AMD K6?
Also besides the 4 DRAM slots it has 2 SIMMs slots. It says: the system board
will support two banks  main memory (bank0 and bank 1) on board (using 4- 72
pin SIMM socket, SIMM 1 - 4 and two 168-pin DIMM socket, DIMM 1 - 2) each bank
could be single-sided or double sided, 8MB up to 128 MB of local memory can be
attained. FPM, EDO, and SDRAM....I have some 64MB 168 SDRAM memory. With what's
already in there can I add I stick of the 168 SDRAM memory in it.

I could not copy the pages of the manual as it's in pdf format, but I printed
those two pages out and scanned them into jpg  format which I could upload into
the files section if that will help.

OH, the MB AZZA PT-5IVH

Lee Rhodes  lenella@xxxxxxxxxxx