-=PCTechTalk=- Re: dcc/mIRC - Q from a friend

  • From: Tori <verse@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 14:07:35 -0500

I had that problem....Trying to remember what caused it.  One thing is
firewall settings.  I do remember that fixed it for a lot of people.  There
is a firewall setting in mIrc somewhere that may need to be changed.
(Sorry but I haven't used it for almost two years and am trying to do it
from memory).

OK....now I remember.  It's a simple fix but for those with the problem you
must do this EACH time you connect or it won't send.  (It's a bug that has
never been fixed.)

(You can just do this routinely each time before you connect)

. Disconnect from your IRC server.

2. Click on File, then select Options. Click on Local Info in the
Category menu list.

3. Clear the text in the Local Host and IP Address boxes.

6. Click on OK. Close mIRC then reopen it. Connect to your
IRC server and try DCC again.

If for some reason it still doesn't work, try this....

1. Disconnect from your IRC server.

2. Click on File, then select Options. Click on Local Info in the Category
menu list.

3. Clear the text in the Local Host and IP Address boxes.

4. Check the Local Host and IP Address options under 'On connect,
always get'.

5. Set Lookup method to Server (or Normal if it was already set to Server).

6. Now click on Identd in the Category menu list. Make sure the 'Enable identd
server' is checked.

7. Type your username where it says User ID. 'Unix' should be in the box next to
'System' and port should be 113. The other things don't matter.

6. Click on OK. Close mIRC then reopen it. Connect to your IRC server and try
DCC
again.

If this doesn't work experiment with the 'On connect' settings. For instance,
try to set your Local Host address by hand and let mIRC look for only the
IP Address on each startup. If you still can't get it to work try to use the
Normal method instead of the Server Method.

Everybody... Check your time-out settings!

Make sure that your time-out values in DCC/Options are set large enough.
"Get/Chat Dialog time out after" and "Send/Get Transfer time out after"
are recommended to be set to at least 60 and 120, respectively.

n case you never ever managed to get sending files or initiating a DCC
Chat to work, not even after studying all these hints, it might be that
your provider blocks these DCC connections by the kind of internet access
they give you. Known to give problems are TIA, Twinsock, Slipknot and
SLiRP. Also the use of a firewall by your provider will block DCC connections.

Hope this is of some help.  The first 'cleared info' always worked for me.

Tori