-=PCTechTalk=- Re: aol problems

  • From: Clickninny@xxxxxxx
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 20:40:50 EST

Nunyabidness says.......

Your opinion and you are entitled to it.  When I was on dialup, HTML mail
prevented me from joining a mailing list with hundreds of messages a day.
It was all that was available and *any* extended download would disconnect
before I was finished - meaning I had to start all over again.  There are
many in the world (the internet *is* global, last I heard) who only have
dialup IF they have their own computer and access and even if they do they
*still* may have to pay per minute charges to download a bunch of that
pretty "exciting" stuff that you enjoy so much that they and others view as
unnecessary crap.

Your five years, whether due to luck or skill is admirable, but it can be
countered (probably) incident to incident with others of the same amount of
experience who have been totally infected and had  their system crashed by
a virus that could only have been delivered through HTML mail.

I believe that your tone leaves much to be desired.  I was merely pointing
out that there is an alternative that is inherently safer and more
efficient.  If you argue that, then you are obviously not well educated on
the difference in the way HTML mail and true text mail work.  You may
prefer HTML, but those are the facts.  I am offended by your insinuation
that I am "screwed tight" just because I offer an alternative for
information purposes.  I thought that's why we are here.

Send your mail HTML only if you wish.  Myself and others may be annoyed,
may not care or may not even read or download your mail at all.  Then all
that pretty and exciting content will be garbage, which isn't particularly
attractive and is a nuisance.

In the future, choose your words more carefully and try hard not to poke
fun at ideas rather than debate them on their merits.  No matter what
format the mail comes in, no one likes a wise-ass.

Sorry to have irritated you Nun ...that was not my intent...But i am sorry
for your irritaion and your inability to accuratly gauge intent...NOT for my
words...because i believe strongly about what i was saying.

 You know ...im so in luv with all the net has to offer. As a romantic living
in a droll time period ...i always appreciated the late 1800's . People, even
the lowliest farmhands....could communicate the written language with such
eloquence and vocabulary as to astound.
   When they talk about education sukking these days ...they aint kiddin (
know THAT was tounge in cheek ) ( please note that without HTML i cant
emphasize  "they aint kiddin" with anything but caps ...i cant even
italicize it ...and shouting just didnt seem right here. However i would have
preferred to make it stand out so some people would have an easier time
grasping it quicker )

 SOOOO. when i first experienced chat...and newsgroups , etc...i thought how
wonderful ...in 50 years itll be a resurgence of marvelous written word full
of expression and clear meaning.

  WHY 50 years?...Because you dont have to be even a tiny futurist to realize
that modern communication is TOTALLY audio driven.We are all automated to
judge "intent" purely by voice inflection...hilariously enuff...even when we
READ something from someone else. It will take at least that long as a race
to mellow out and not be so judgemental over the written word. ....To
question their own senses before they question a writers intent and
responding.
    I have a friend of 20 years and it is almost impossible to chat with him
on the net....He misinterprets just about everything the wrong way.All his
friends have trouble with this...yet we can all verbally communicate with no
problem.  It is sad that we as humans cannot adjust to new ways quicker as to
avoid unnecessary conflict.

   SOOOOo..to avoid that AGAIN here ...i will help the situation by
occasionally injecting meaning and tone...just as if you were reading a story
. Ive EVEN added MUSIC!!! ( altho since this is not HTML ...you will just
have to imagine it whereas you could have heard it ...adding much ...just
like in a movie soundtrack  )

   If you will go back and Re read my post with a different eye...i believe
you will see that the sentence "If you are screwed to tight " ...does NOT
refer to you directly .
   It was not  "tounge in cheek".... Clickninny  said sincerely ...in the
belief that Nun could and would take the time to read his thoughts several
times before responding in ire.
   ....It was as straight forward as a late night info-mercial....and refers
to a cautionary  "state of being"  applying to the ( any ) reader of the
post.

 i would also suggest that in re reading my post you would see that there are
NO personal attacks on you ...i made no suggestions to you personally...i
gave you no direct suggestions...or MANDATES as you have given me  and i ask
you to reflect on that. ( now THATS a suggestion )

 However in your return post ...i see plenty aimed at me...and by the way,
my words WERE chosen carefully,.... you just chose not to see them as such.
Hence the  "and no offense to  Nunyabidness's viewpoint." i included at the
bottom...which you blissfully chose to ignore.
   So now i WOULD wonder as to a personal judgement about just how tight you
ARE screwed...where as before...it didnt even enter my mind. ...he said
firmly but without malice.

   Im in many groups and in every one there is always a general tone from
some quarter of each one that suggests we all clamp down and look at or view
only what is neccessary .....giving advice ( as i see it ) to experience a
lesser internet experience for the sake of safety.
  In my experience each of these people are eventually exposed as having a
lesser income ...or having crappy circumstance that that they must pay per
download.

 i know there are people people in the world who suffer daily due to any
number of circumstances and are for any number of reasons ...less fortunate
then me...
 It does NOT mean that i request my TV broadcast to me in a TEXT only
version...so i can commiserate with them ...and punish myself by bringing
myself down to their level of miserable experience...he said with a shrug ,
hoping the shrug would define some level of angst at his helplessness to
change the world for those less fortunate than him.

 ON THE CONTRARY... if i could,  i would request EXTRA pictures to ENHANCE my
experience. Those people who had a more miserable experience than me in any
given portion of their life ...just have to pick themselves up by their boot
straps and IMPROVE their own situation...If they instead chose to line up on
the freeway and express their dissatisfaction with this or that .....i will
drive by ...he said with an aire of Republicanism...even tho he thought of
himself as a democrat in "overallness".

 And here in lies the friction....this time i did NOT drive by ...as a member
of something,  i chose to get out and offer an opposing viewpoint .... i
said..."FREINDS ..FRIENDS ...life is NOT THAT dire....DRINK IN ALL THAT YOU
CAN WITH YOUR EYES and you shall see MORE JOY AND ENRICHMENT."
  Thanks to your reply to my suggestion of a heightened experience... brother
Nun...i now know what it feels like to be a Hare Krishna at the airport...and
have a passerby tell me which orifice to shove the incense i was offering
freely.

 ( enter Jaws movie type sountrack )

 And if you are only reading my return here with a balled up fist looking for
a "fiesty" quotient that you can REPLY to...looking for ammo as it were...
instead of the possibility of apperception...then please consider this....He
asked politely even while  his eyes were glazing over in the manner of a reti
red axe murderer.
    It is NOT sophistry:

 ( enter: chorus of angels in an ascending scale )

 As humans we are all definable by some quantitative factor...All the people
in the world could line up judging FAT for instance...at one end of the line
would have to be THE MOST FATTEST person in the world and at the other...the
LEAST FAT.

  That fact holds true for any possible element we could measure...including
HOW TIGHT WE ARE SCREWED....
   Do we all have some measure of that element? ...Probably. And all borne
from different life experiences and in different categories.
 Now the following may be true and it may not be ...he said with honest
uncertainty ...but since you chose to make this personal... hidden within
group policy... i will point this out.
  i'm betting ...based on your posts versus mine...and EVEN by the NAME we
choose to represent "who we are " to others on the net ....that in the line
of "WHOSE SCREWED THE TIGHTEST " you are closer to the "MOST" end of the line
than i am...

 Do i enjoy pointing that out? ...no i dont ...You know why? ...cause
probably in the past ...i have asked a question here ...and Nun himself has
guided me in the right direction. And im sure i was grateful for that.
Depending on what it was i may even have considered building a shrine in your
honor in my backyard. SO i have RESPECT for at least your knowledge...but
your attitude is dismal.
  I even enjoy the fact that if not for the net...chances are you and i would
have never have had words to each other upon this planet. ...and maybe in
some small way our conversation will help take some sour out of your life.
  So this is bothersome to me..But i NEVER attacked you with slurs as you
have me....he said pointedly.

    i make my living AS AN ARTIST.   Unthinkingly, ( is that innocence?) you
were "anti-art" in your suggestion to ignore HTML , driven only by your
circumstance. I dont remember lessening YOUR  lively hood in my post.
 ...i did NOT ATTACK YOU...i OFFERED a viable suggestion as to not HIDE from
the dorks who make all our net experiences less ( dont let the terrorists win
 by lessening your personal experience ) ....and a suggestion to  weigh an
internet experience for WHAT IT IS and ALL IT CAN BE...not by the
circumstances you may fell forced  to experience it in.
    Doing THAT is WRONG ...INSTEAD...Pull yourself up by your bootstraps
...experience both ways ...THEN make a judgement on whether a full and
embellished email experience is your cup of tea.
   If you are forced by where you live to suffer your net experience ...and
the net is important to you or fascinating ...THEN MOVE. Otherwise live with
it.
   If you are too poor to do anything but pay per minute on the net and the
net is important to you ...GET A NEW JOB.  Sorry. Those are the vagaries of
life we all face in some aspect or another. Get over it .  Dont spread doom
and gloom instead as an alternative.

  The needs of the many outway the needs of the few...or the one. Yet it is
often "the one " or the "few"   who would try to convince newbies or people
who are unsure  that they should moderate their experience to what the few
are suffering ...THAT is wrong...get it?

           ( in case you feel this is "overzealous " ...feel free to add a
parenthesized "in my opinion " wherever you like )

    PS ...cynicism does not EQUAL "wise ass"

   PSS  (respectfully  to Mr. Cowboy )...i will not reply any further on this
thread  be assured .  .....i expected a nix...quoting some guideline as to
group policy that exsists to please all in an inclusional sense ...but not
nessacarily a philosophical one which may allow upgrades to such policies.
..... But i did not expect paternal cuteness. This is an important issue.....
not a tiff.   Most new users are apprehensive and scared of wrong moves ...We
forget our own earliest experiences with the monsters known as computers. And
a sour viewpoint tends to add MORE apprehension...NOT allieviate it ...which
i assume should be at least an UNDERLYING goal of this group.
    The reality is that each group tends to generate a "tone". That "tone" is
a derivative of ALL its members with a small percentage of albeit neccesary
facism from its owners. It is a STEW and we the members are all hunks of meat
which determine FLAVOR . Flavor = TONE.. A TONE is inescapable. We are not
automations ...we are human.
 What tone did you plan? ...Do you see it ? Do you sense it?
    ..My response to the original post was an attempt to add some sweetness
back to the "tone"  which often appears doom and gloom. ...and my
contribution and right  i thought.
    However if this group thrives on "sour" and attempts to add sweetness are
met with further rhetorical sour without allowing a reinsertion and defense
of sweetness... then maybe im in the wrong group. ... If this post is not
allowed to go thru...then decidely SOUR has prevailed and that is the
moderator's choice.
   After all, in that case i would be "the one" as previously mentioned...and
what good are all these platitudes at the bottom of emails if in fact no one
lives by them or apperceives them ?
   In fact ...heres one NOW....as offered by Nun...Clickninny offered
regrettably. ( after all he didnt start it but he felt it was his right to
finish it )

--------------------------------
********* And So It Was ***********
*** Disclaimer for Flamers, Trollers and those with no life ***

Some of the preceding is solely my own opinion and is not necessarily held
by any other person in any other place at any other time.  Reasonable,
courteous and respectful counterpoints as well as corrections are
encouraged., If you can not agree with these terms, please feel free to
shake your head, click "delete", or even PLONK me and move on.  I will not
engage in childish name calling over matters of opinion.  :)

Which he feels free to spout but not live by...how double standard can one
get ? If this is your belief Nun...why didnt you just delete my post  instead
of respecting it and moving on ? Your counterpoints to me were not even close
to respectful or courteous.

--------------------------------------
Heres one i currently  like to use...

If you go through life convinced that your way is always the best,
all the new ideas in the world will pass you by.
         -Akio Morita- <A HREF="http://a.ka/";>a.ka</A>. Founder of SONY

 That INCLUDES trying HTML .... ( now the word > trying < REALLY needs to be
emphasized there dontcha think? Maybe some color to stand out. )

 Which is what i was trying to FOSTER to those concerned in my original post.

            ......clickninny.....

 My trade may be in many areas ...but my skill in life is to make people
think. If all you can THINK at the moment is clickninny is an A**H**E ...then
RE READ the post ..you missed something vital.