-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Wallpaper

  • From: dsw32952 <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 20:43:16 -0400

I don't remember anything in nLite to disable the browse or strtch
function in the desktop properties dialog box.  However, it does sound
like a hack of some sort.  If the machine was used in a business
environment it is likely the screensaver function was hacked to prevent
employees from bringing screen savers from home and infecting the
computer with viruses and other malware.

If you got the system install disks then Gman's suggestion to reinstall
is probably the only chance to restore.  However, if the install disk is
not a genuine Microsoft disk there is a great chance that when the
company bought the computer they bought a customized version of XP or a
site license and modified the install package before making copies for
each machine.

If that is the case, I hope you like blue or have the budget to buy your
own install disk.

Don

Gman wrote:
> AVG might be the better bet, regardless of free space.  McAfee is one of the
> very few companies that didn't bother rewriting their 2009 version apps to
> remove excess bloat.  As a result, it's slow, clumsy and full of old bugs.
>
> The wallpaper issue is a strange one that has me wondering if perhaps the OS
> was 'slimmed down' by a utility such as nLite.  If that's true, you may not
> have any options for re-enabling the function because it would be the result
> of something important being removed (including all references to it within
> the registry and .inf files).  In that case, you're best bet would be to
> wipe the drive and install your own non-nLite'd OS.
>
> Peace,
> Gman

in the Subject.