-=PCTechTalk=- Re: WIN98se MAJOR issue

  • From: "Barnstoneworth" <barneystorm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 11:27:36 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: <Foxhillers@xxxxxxx>
To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, August 29, 2003 1:41 AM
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- WIN98se MAJOR issue

> Hiya all
>    Well, as you all know by now, I've been upgrading (painfully) my Athlon
> 600 with now 512 megs of RAM.
>    Reinstalled a CD.... no problem
>    Upgraded video to 32 mg Nvdia , some hassle, missing red color, but
system
> stable.
>    Upgraded HP 7200 CDWRW to a IOMagic 48x16x48.
>
>    Then, installed Nero software after uninstalling the HP stuff.
>    I got a warning about a possible conflict with Adaptec Win Media
Player,
> but installed Nero anyway.
>
>    Now, this system is unstable again.  On rebooting, got several Errors
on
> ZoneAlarm (one of the problems).
>
>    Well now, it says:
> "  Invalid VxD from VSDATA95(01)+00014f88 to device "0028" service "800A"
>
>    Run Win Setup......"
>
>    So there it sits waiting for your kind and talented ministrations.  I
> suspect that running WIN SetUp will wipe everything........ I need to
avoid that.

You can drop a fresh copy of W98 over the top of your exisiting one without
losing all your data, providing you can boot into Windows with you access to
your CD Drive. I THINK you can do it even if you can't-you need to make sure
the 1st boot in your bios is your CD ROM drive and when you get the Windows
installation  notice, you should be able to choose 'overwrite current O/S'
or 'Install Clean Version' (or something similar)..Choosing the first one
should just overwrite your OS rather than formatting your hard drive.

Just a few thoughts..

What 'HP Stuff" did you uninstall?
Have you uninstalled the Nero software? I'd certainly do that.
Check your ASPI Layer..I mentioned this on a post yesterday..do a Google
search for 'Force Aspi'. The conflict with the Adaptec Win Media Player
could be caused because Nero has changed the ASPI layer to something your ot
her software/Peripherals aren't comfortable with.

Cheers

Andy