-=PCTechTalk=- Re: SIS Video accelerator

  • From: "~OoO~" <SirTroth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 08:06:46 -0400

I'm assuming you do not have the disk that came with the system or motherboard
when you purchase it, as that "should" have the correct drivers. If not, you
can try going to the manufacturer's website to check for a new driver. The
error message your getting is because you have a driver installed for the
video, but its not the correct one. I know you already said you can't find the
correct driver, and its probably frustrating that you can't just find it on the
company's site.
If I repeat a step that you've already tried, please forgive me here. I
sometimes forget what I've read in previous posts.

Try running Windows Update:
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

as sometimes that will bring up a new and update driver.

Short of that, you may have to find out which motherboard you have, the exact
model, and then go to the motherboard's manufacturer's site, to get a driver,
since its onboard. Do you know which motherboard you have? The model number
"might" be displayed on the actual motherboard, but that would require opening
up the tower to look at the board, and that might be difficult with all the
things hooked up in there.

Another thing you can do is download one of those diagnostics/info programs
that will give you all the details and specs on your system. Some, not all,
will give you the model number of the motherboard, and some will go as far as
telling you the video driver you need. Some of these apps are listed here:

Aida32
http://www.aida32.hu

Belarc Advisor
http://www.belarc.com

There's a few other ones I can't remember off the top of my head.

The other "more expensive" approach to this problem would be to buy an
independant video card and disable the onboard one... but, that's a last step,
and there should be no reason, at this time, to do that.

---Troth