-=PCTechTalk=- Re: - Re: new member, questions....computer recommendations

  • From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <nunyabidness6@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 12:29:30 -0600

Just to add my two pennies...

I agree with most all of this, but I'll add.  I also have built and bought
and found a few things.  When you build, you won't save money but you will
know what your hardware is and you will have what you want instead of going
for the 80 percent of what you want and the ten percent you didn't want but
got anyway.  No guessing about what chip is in your graphics card because
Compaq or whoever used ten different 32 Mb graphics cards that had parts
from ten different other chipmakers.  It likely will be faster and more
reliable ONCE YOU GET IT SET UP!!  It will also likely cause you to lose
hair trying to configure it, although it's not as bad as it used to be.

If you buy a packaged sytem, you'll get tech support - of poor to good
quality - and you'll open it up and it will work without much tweaking if
you don't want to.  I've had good luck with the HP Pavilion series as it
comes without onboard graphics (a huge plus) and with the exception of the
built in sound appears to have non-proprietary components allowing upgrade
possibilities.  It benches well and aside from being kinda stuck with a
case that won't allow another externally accessed internal drive, they (I
have three) were a good deal and a good value.  I haven't bought/used a
Dell since 486 days, so I can't comment much on those other than I've heard
they sometimes have issues with components, which probably all package
computers do from time to time.

Whichever way you go, buy the best you can afford, because it will likely
be usable in two to five years, but it probably won't run the
latest/greatest software anymore, and it *most likely* won't run the next
version of Windows (whatever it may be).

I'd definitely stay away from Compaq.  They're owned by HP now, but I
bought one and took it back because it was garbage.

~~~~~~~~~

On 12/4/2002 at 12:00 PM a whisper was heard, and the one known as David J.
Weaver was rumoured to have uttered....

          |  Hi Nanne,
          |
          |  Welcome to the group.
          |
          |  1.  Legality of Sale of XP.  Perfectly legal.  If you've never
          |  used it or
          |  never installed it, you can resell it.  However, I wouldn't,
          |  and I'll
          |  explain this in a minute.
          |
          |  2.  The specs you have been given aren't bad.  They are good
          |  for a beginning
          |  point.  But as you say you are going to be doing web design
          |  and graphics, I
          |  would aim a bit higher.  The processor speed is fine, but I
          |  would plan on
          |  doubling the memory and the hard drive space, bringing them to
          |  512 MB and 80
          |  GB hard drive.
          |
          |  3.  I've built and I've bought.  I prefer built because it
          |  truly is your
          |  machine that way.  It is something that you have spec'd out,
          |  and built it
          |  with your own hands.  It might cost a little more, but in my
          |  eyes it's worth
          |  it.  And if you go this route, you'll definitely need that XP
          |  disc that I
          |  told you to hold on to.  If you buy, you really can't beat a
          |  DELL for a
          |  desktop system.  And look around the net for coupons that may
          |  offer free
          |  upgrades or price reduction.  Now if you want a full featured
          |  laptop, that's
          |  a different story.  I would recommend Sager Notebooks
          |  (http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.html).  These things are
          |  incredible, and
          |  you can spec them however you want inlcuding your OS.
          |
          |  Dave

*******
All the preceding is solely my own opinion not necessarily held by any
other person in any other place at any other time.  No warranty express or
implied.  Author takes no responsibility for the accuracy or usefulness of
this or any rebutttal information.  If you do not agree with this post,
please click delete and move on.