-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Program Recommendation

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 12:39:20 -0500

Once installed, use the context menu in Explorer to select the first file
with "Compare to" (I always make a copy of the known 'good' one and then
work with that instead of the original) and then select the file you wish to
compare to it with "Compare".  The app will then open up with both files
loaded side by side.  Selecting the known good file first will always place
it in the left column of the app.  I found that consistently approaching it
this way (original on the left) helped me keep the two of them straight
during longer sessions.  This way, I could just focus solely on the right
side with my line/block shuffling.

Depending on the type of data contained within the files I worked, I usually
set up mine to treat blocks of data (the number of lines in a block of info
varied) as a single unit.  It helped when selecting and moving blocks around
to match them up with the original.  Selecting lines or blocks is standard
fare (Shift + Arrow keys) and selected items will move easily by holding
down the left mouse button and dragging them to the new location.  I found
it even easier to just Select, cut & then paste to the new location.

More than likely, you really didn't need any of these tips.  Still, I
figured I'd toss them out there for anyone who might decide to give the app
a spin around the block.    :)

Peace,
Gman
http://www.bornagainamerican.org