-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Norton install problems

  • From: "Sir Troth" <sirtroth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 09:13:10 -0500

Neither, actually. You need the one specifically for XP. And, I believe
Microsoft doesn't give you one, as they say its already included in the OS
already. As a matter-of-fact, the MS site specifically says not to use these
for XP (if we're looking in the same place). I'm assuming these links are for
version 2. I think there's a version 3.1 beta available on the MS site that you
can try, but I can't find the link.
Have you tried the system file checker for XP?

Go to START > RUN and enter the following:

sfc /scannow

Just like that, space between "sfc" and "/scannow". This will repair bad system
files.

---Troth