-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Learning about Computers WAS: Active X question

  • From: Becky kane <bekkykane@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 13:36:24 -0700 (PDT)

Jumper settings on my hard drives were ok, the 40 gig would work but the main
drive when it crashed would not even show up in my computer.

  God Bless
  Becky

Don Wilcox <Dwilcox3@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Helpful Tip: When removing parts from a computer it may be useful to draw a
diagram and take notes as to what card came out of what slot, what cable
plugs in where and what device goes into what cage position. Paper labels
and/or Sharpies might come in handy also.

Useful Tip: Pay attention to plug and pin alignments. Plugs have various
shapes with rounded, square or cut off corners and some have missing pins,
filled pin holes or slots and notches to force proper alignment. Ribbon
cables for drives have a colored stripe down the side where pin one is
located.

Followup assignment: Regarding drives... learn the difference between
"master", "slave" and "cable select". Also learn how to set your drives for
each setting (each drive may be different jumper settings). Determine which
setting your drive(s) are supposed to be and verify they are correct.
Practice changing the jumper settings then be sure to return them to the
proper setting.

Don