-=PCTechTalk=- Re: [Fwd: Partitioning]

  • From: Don <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 11:59:04 -0400

Your input, combined with some from the easyBCD forums
(http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3998) leads me to believe
the problem is not a boot problem but rather an XP launch problem and is
most likely caused by file corruption.

My next step will be to do a simple re-install of XP and Vista from my
slipstreamed install disks.  They are both pretty clean installs with
very littles changes or additions so it will be no extra work to start
all over.

Lesson Learned:  "Safe" partition tools may not be sfe in all
circumstances.  Especially when a failed attempt results in multiple
tries with multiple adds, deletes, shrinks, etc.  Therefore:  Plan
carefully *before* you start partitioning and installing.

I will likely install the recovery console and also build a boot cd
(BartPE UBCD) when this is all done.

NOTE TO EVERYONE:  Eddie's caution about not doing things without a
backup is very important.  During this process I did not mention I had
any backups because I didn't.  I had no real need since everything was
all clean with little or no changes made.  I had not yet moved any data
or other important stuff to either XP or Vista (everything is still on
my laptop and external hard drive).

Don

in the Subject.