-=PCTechTalk=- Re: For Don - Silent Installers

  • From: "don101" <don101@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 08:50:09 -0500

Holiday greetings aren't the only thing caught in a time warp.  :-))  It's
been since before Christmas that I've had time to piddle with all the
projects.  I'll probably have to start from scratch just to relearn
everything.

Looking at silent installers will certainly be a priority.  Hopefully some
useful stuff will be available.

I did get the VM to access the network/internet finally, but I still have
not been able to get the VM to see the other physical drives on the
computer.  I've looked through all the settings and options etc.  Do you
have a clue you can share with me?  I think I found it.  Sharing folders.
I'll have to spend some time planning a naming and drive letter assignment
plan to make sure I can keep everything straight.  I wish I could just share
My Computer and have all drives available in one swoop.

When I shut down the VM I am given the option to save its current state.
This appears to do what Hibernation does on a physical machine... write a
file that it reads when you reopen the OS.  That leads me to think that any
changes made during any session will only be in the saved state and not in
the actual installed OS.  Other options available are Shut down WinXP and
Turn Off.  If I have a clean install in the VM and then install say an
anti-virus program, which option should be used to permanently save the
installation so that the AV program will be available on all future boots
regardless of how any intervening sessions were terminated?

Don