-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Firewall Alert

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 20:08:16 -0400

I don't know what IOW means, but many internal network connections are
legitimate without being necessary.

For instance, every network I've worked on appears to assume that it needs
what is called a Master Browser, which is a single computer that gives out
permissions for other connections.  I don't fully understand the mechanism
in use there, but a little research shows that this 'MB" designation can
move from one computer to another within the network.  So, if a computer
sends out a call for the MB to answer and there's no MB manually assigned,
the attempt fails, an error is generated within Event Viewer and nothing
else seems to happen.  These calls can trigger firewalls to block or ask you
about them, but allowing/denying them has no effect since the automatically
assigned MB doesn't seem to know what to do with the requests anyway.

It's a very strange arrangement to me and I do wish I understood more about
how it's supposed to work, but it's never given me enough reason to put it
higher on my list of things to learn.

Peace,
Gman

http://www.thevenusproject.com/index.php