-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Explorer crashes/hangs after all windows closed

  • From: bob.in.jersey@xxxxxxxx
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 11:30:11 EST

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 03:55:51 EST, David F Wooledge wrote, in part:
> When you say Explorer is crashing , does the message say it is
> Internet Explorer, or Explorer, perhaps it is calling Explorer,
> Windows Explorer.  If it is Internet Explorer, can you repair it
> from Add\Remove Programs in the Control Panel?  If it is Windows
> Explorer, it may be that you are  using too many System Resources
> and the fix probably is try to limit the number of programs open.
> Also if you have some programs you use often it can help to leave
> them open, minimize them, rather then closing and reopening them.

Hi Dave from my Juno list :-)...

I am quite aware of the difference between Explorer and IExplore(r).

The actual errors started in Explorer (which as former Win3.x users
we here still like to call File Manager, albeit that our copy still
has the 'winfile.exe' as well), but could be triggered when either
it or the browser were in use (I'll have both open at some point any
day).  I had tried repairing the browser as you mentioned, but it
hasn't accomplished much.

I have resigned myself to the fact that it is a system resources
issue, and have tried to reduce the running items wherever possible;
I already explained the limitations the OFM have put me under.  I am
also leaving things open instead of closing them all before exiting
Windows or logging off so the OFM can use the machine... so far that
goes off without a hitch...

--
BOB dot in dot jersey at Juno dot com