-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Explorer crashes/hangs after all windows closed

  • From: David F Wooledge <wooledge001@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 03:55:51 -0500

Hi Bob,
Just to clarify one point.  Internet Explorer is not the same as the
Explorer.exe that was showing up in your Process Viewer 2000.  Although
they have similar names they are two different programs.  Internet
Explorer, as I'm sure you know is a browser, primarily for accessing the
Internet (it can access other places too).  The process, Explorer.exe,
that you were seeing is part of Windows, managing files, folders, the
desktop and the like.  I think it is a part of the Graphic Display
Interface (GDI) but I am not sure.  When you say Explorer is crashing ,
does the message say it is Internet Explorer, or Explorer, perhaps it is
calling Explorer, Windows Explorer.  If it is Internet Explorer, can you
repair it from Add\Remove Programs in the Control Panel?  If it is
Windows Explorer, it may be that you are  using too many System Resources
and the fix probably is try to limit the number of programs open.  Also
if you have some programs you use often it can help to leave them open,
minimize them, rather then closing and reopening them.  Some of these
programs would be Word, Internet Explorer, other Office or Microsoft
Suite programs.  These programs often do not release the System Resources
when closed and then use up more when reopened (the often talked about
memory leak in 9x\Me)..
Dave
http://www.geocities.com/wooledge001_/
http://www.mental-health-advocate.us
------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 23:29:06 EST
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Explorer crashes/hangs after all windows closed
From: bob.in.jersey@xxxxxxxx

For the unfamiliar, my family's Presario 5170, with a 350mhz P2,
128M RAM, and replacement 9.3G HD, runs Win98 original and IE6 SP1,
and has been kept well-updated in terms of device drivers, Windoze
updates, and latest versions of apps.  We have multiple users set up
on this machine, one being for me and the other for the other family
members (hereinafter 'OFM'); I have a higher screen resolution than
the OFM (1024 vs 800).

I have solved the earlier problem of invalid page faults in
Kernel32.dll, but only because after considerable soul-searching I
decided to uninstall Process Viewer 2000, which enables ready
viewing and restarting/terminating of all running processes on the
system.  The real reasons for me to have it there are not much
anymore, especially since the product disregards any instances of
Internet Explorer that are open, listing Explorer.exe only as a
single process.

I am, though, still having problems, which are =only= happening to
me, as with the earlier errors.  If I have been using the Web for
more than a few minutes, there is the great risk that when I close
all apps prior to shutting down the machine, Explorer will either
crash or go into an eternal cycle of invalid page faults in an
unknown module.  For some reason I can shutdown/restart in most
cases if there are still open windows, esp. if software is being
installed/uninstalled that requires restarting to complete.

The only logical option to me is to reduce the number of apps in the
system tray, tho' there are limits.  We cannot do without the
antivirus, firewall, or the drivers for the proprietary keyboard
that came with the machine (they include sound mute and volume
adjust, which even I consider a good thing).  The scroll mouse
driver is a possibility, because I keep thinking this type of rat
was supported under W98 anyway.  A sticking point would be my
reminder program (269k), because most of the entries in it are only
important to me, and would only distract the OFM if they had to see
them, as they would if I took the alternative route of constructing
text messages to be displayed at specified times by the Windoze Task
Scheduler (is there a way to not get THAT to load?).

I appreciate realistic, optimal answers on this (e.g. don't bother
suggesting upgrading the OS, I don't have enough RAM for WinXP).

--
BOB dot in dot jersey at Juno dot com