-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Computers.

  • From: Geekette <geekette@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 19:18:05 -0800

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 14:46:24 +1100, Lionel wrote:

> I want to  buy a  new  Desktop  Computer ,   what is a  good
> reliable  brand  name to look for   ??
Another option would be to call you area high schools, Community
Colleges or Vo-tech schools and have an IT student build one for you.
You can specify exactly what you wish to have including (but not limited
to)  the size of tower & power supply, the brand of hard drive (like
Western Digital), the of hard drive, the speed of the processor, the
motherboard and chipset, the graphics card, etc.  You get what  is best
for your needs and all for a modest fee (or free if it's a class
project). You may be able to reuse some of your components that you
already have (like your monitor, keyboard, mouse--maybe even your case
with a new power supply.)

Remember if a deal looks too good to be true, it usually is.  The
package deals make a profit at every step of the production from
manufacturer to retailer. You don't always  get what you think your
are.  A friend purchased a name brand computer package with Harmon
Kardon speakers only to find out the 'upgraded speakers' were in fact
made in China, not supported by the Big Name Package Seller because they
only licensed the 'name' not the product.Another friend purchased a a
package deal from the same company and found that the package was so low
on memory that before they could load all their software they were back
at the store buying more memory. Yet a third friend bought from the same
company and they included an internal dial-up modem although she
specifically told them she already had a cable modem.

I build and repair computers for a lot of seniors and they all seem to
gravitate towards this same company and many of them tell me the same
thing. . .they don't know what they needed or wanted and the salesman
was able to take advantage of that with upgrades and sales of things
that they either did not need or want.

You might want to first analyze why you need a new computer (gaming?
graphics? photography? faster word processing?) and buy according to
what you need.  If you plan to upgrade to VISTA you will want as much
memory as possible, but if you are running a LINUX box you can probably
get by with less. Running a lot of  gadgets (peripherals like printer,
scanner, photo stix, firewire, USB coffeepot, etc?) get a larger power
supply. Want to multitask a lot of open programs like Word, Excel or
Publisher and an imaging program at the same time? Get memory and the
fastest bus speed you can afford.  Want to burn DVDs and play multimedia
DVDs? Get a high-end video card and a sweet monitor and lots of memory
and a modest-sized hard drive. When and if you need a new hard drive,
you can find find one easily. Want to store every image or free program
you find on the web? get a bigger hard drive. Want to swap files from
one machine to another? get a case with USB ports on the front not the
back.   There is a lot to consider before you purchase.  The best thing
is to go into this (and any) buying decision with your eyes open (and
perhaps, a copy of Consumer Reports who does not get paid by advertisers.)

Also remember that recycling the usable parts from you present system
keeps computers and their hazardous materials out of the landfills.