-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Computers.

I see a lot of people have responded.  And I thought I would put my $.02 in.

If you buy from one of the big three be forewarned.  Support comes at a
premium and that premium is your time.  Like Troth, I also repair PCs and I
build them for my customers.  Dell I have been told has tried to change
their customer support for the better, however, my experience is that they,
along with Compaq/HP and Gateway are substandard when it comes to customer
support.

You get what you pay for in a machine.  That sounds simple, but in reality
it is a harsh truth.  The big 3 can sell computers at a lower price, because
their lower price computers are built from parts that most small systems
builders wouldn't touch.  I found from experience repairing them that even
their new PCs often lack in proper cooling, proper cable management, and
even sometimes improper matchup of equipment, where the manufacturer of said
component wouldn't properly mix with another component.  It's sad but true.

I have tremendously bad feelings towards Dell, and I'll give to very short
examples.  My personal one is my wife bought a PC from them at a time when I
couldn't readily build her one right away.  Her HD crashed (the platters
froze in place),  I called them gave them their error codes, gave them my
Dell Tech # from where I provide support as an outside vendor, and they
proceeded to argue with me about it.  It took 3 hard drives and 4 weeks to
get it corrected.  This was a year ago.  Three years ago, an acquaintance of
mine who swore up and down that dell was the best system going for the
price, sunk $4,000 into one of (at that time) their "top of the line"
computers, even paid to have a Dell Tech (not me) come out to set it up.
When the tech left the computer would'nt boot.  She called Dell and Dell
said it would be a week for someone to come out.  She called me.  It was a
simple error.  He had started it up and then had to reseat a card.  He
unplugged the PC from the battery backup unit and unplugged the backup unit
from the wall.  He then plugged the computer into the battery back up again,
but forgot to plug that into the wall.  He also didn't install her 4in1
printer, camera, or wireless keyboard/mouse and speaker system (All
purchased from dell).  About a month later she started having serious issues
with the computer.  Over the course of three years she had 15 service calls
into Dell.  She called them for the parts I installed them.  I kept tell her
that the overall problem was the mobo, Dell kept arguing no it wasn't.
After three years Dell finally admitted that it could be the mobo and just
shipped her a whole new unit.  (the problem:  a cracked trace line from the
main bus to the IDE slots, as long as it was cold it worked ok, but when it
heated and expanded it acted as a short).

I readily steer my personal customers from the big three and either build
their PCs, recommend them to botique computers like IBuyPower.com or
alienware (waiting to see what the dell merger does to this company) , or
steer them to a desktop replacement system like sagernotebooks.