-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Audio CD Question

  • From: ~OoO~ <sirtroth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 12:08:56 -0500

Sorry if I reiterate what you might already know. I'll try to report it more
clearly, not only for you but for anyone else that might have the same question.

When you make a CD, you're either making an AUDIO CD or you're making a DATA
CD. While it seems like they may be the same, they are, in fact, completely
different beasts.

Using NERO, Roxio's software, or any other CD-authoring application, you are
usually given the option of making either an AUDIO CD or a DATA CD. If you're
recording the audio onto the CD for playback in a standard CD player, you are
making an AUDIO CD. If you are placing MP3 or WAV files on the CD in exactly
that form, MP3/WAV, then you are making a DATA CD.

If you place a DATA CD into a standard CD/DVD player like your car's CD player
(not a computer CD/DVD drive), the standalone will not be able to read the CD,
unless that standalone can specifically read data files. In a case like this,
you need to make an AUDIO CD.

Since you said you want the audio book to play in a standalone player AND a
computer, then you need to make an AUDIO CD. That has the best compatibility
with players. It'll work in a computer and it'll work in a standalone (like the
car player).

So far so good, right?

Ok. Now. what I was saying in my last post is this. most computers already
auto-play a CD with music. And, well, they also auto-play a data CD with MP3 or
WAV files (at least WinXP does). With an AUDIO CD, it should automatically
start playing as soon as you place the CD in the drive. With a DATA CD
containing MP3 and WAV files, you usually get a little popup that asks you what
you want to do, to which you would indicate PLAY AUDIO. Now. this is the
DEFAULT setup. Some people, like me, have it set to NOT auto-play any CD's that
are put into the drive. I have to manually go to MY COMPUTER and double-click
the CD drive letter. But, this is how I have it set. The default is to
auto-play AUDIO CDs and to give you the popup for DATA CDs containing audio.

If you make the DATA CD, you can make the playlist as suggested previously by
the other poster. However, the playlist is only as good as the player. If the
player does not read DATA CDs, the playlist is useless. If the player DOES read
DATA CDs, then it still might not read playlists. The car player is an example.
It might read DATA CDs, but some ignore the playlist file. Also. you mentioned
playlists and not having songs but instead having audio books. To the computer,
its not a song. An MP3 is an MP3. Whether its an audio book or actual music,
its all AUDIO. Playlists direct the system to play the MP3's regardless of what
they are. audio is audio.

So. your options. if you want the best compatibility, you should be making an
AUDIO CD, not a DATA CD. Playlists are for DATA CDs. Yes, you can make a DATA
CD with a playlist, but not all standalone players will play them. AUDIO CDs,
everything will be able to play it.

Hope I made myself a bit clearer now.

---Troth