-=PCTechTalk=- Re: AOL Instant Messenger

  • From: Foxhillers@xxxxxxx
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 12:44:22 EDT

KC
   I will check this out and thank you.  However, I am in the process of
setting up a wireless network (DLink) with our three systems and behemoth HP
5si
mx primary printer (weighing in at about 100 lbs, great ebay buy) so need to
keep WIN Messenger viable.
mjh
In a message dated 10/4/03 12:39:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
alienkc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> try this
> You are probably familiar with Windows (a/k/a MSN) Messenger which is used
> for Instant Messaging. There is another program called Messenger that is
> used in networks to transmit and send Alerter service messages between
> clients and servers.
> Even though you'll never use it, unless you are on a network, by default it
> is turned on, causing an open hole in your XP firewall for pop-up
> advertising to get through. Here's what to do if you want to stop
> Messenger...
>
> Go to Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Services (or Start / Run and
> type in "services.msc"). This will bring up a long list of Windows services
> that are running or available on your system.
>
> Find "Messenger" and double click to open the Properties box. In the
> "Startup Type" field, change the setting to "Manual". You could choose
> "Disable", but if any services depend on Messenger they will fail to start,
> so you're better off playing it safe

MJH