-=PCTechTalk=- Re: A (Relatively Simple Question

  • From: "Trevnal" <trev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 12:05:49 +0100

Some motherboards do work well with a mixture of PC100 and PC133, others do
not like the different types being mixed at all, and it can cause problems.

You are right if PC100 and PC133 is mixed and works fine, then the system
will run as if both sticks are PC100.

Before you replace the PC100 with PC133, you need to make sure the
motherboard runs PC133, as it may be cheaper and easier to just put a new
stick on PC100 in instead.  As not all motherboard will or do run PC133, so
it would see and use it as PC100, but again thee could be some problems too.

W98 does not like more than 512mb of ram either, that is the same for W95
and ME too.  W2K and XP will sue what ever you can give it, especially for
heavy graphics and video files etc.

Trevnal