-=PCTechTalk=- Hard Drive Recommendations

  • From: "cajun12" <cajun12@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 06:30:52 -0500

I've been looking on manufacturer websites for any warranty information =
that indicates exactly what configurations you can use your internal =
drive in, and I'm not finding anything.  I am finding specific things =
they don't cover, but they are the standard stuff such as abuse, shock, =
improper installation, removing labels, tampering with the drive, etc.  =
There may be something additional in the User Manual, but I don't have =
access to that.  I've also looked at several different name brand =
external hard drives and I've only found one that has more than a 1 year =
warranty - the Seagate FreeAgent.  There is a 500GB Seagate internal =
drive at Tiger Direct being sold as a combo package WITH an external =
hard drive enclosure, but Tiger doesn't tell you what the warranty is.  =
I like to have a little more to pick from and the Seagate FreeAgent is =
the only one I've seen with a warranty higher than 1 year.  I don't like =
the wide base on the FreeAgent, and it has no power switch.  I don't run =
my externals all the time and I need a power switch.

Can anyone shed some light on warranty coverage if you use an internal =
drive in an external enclosure?  Also, any additional recommendations on =
an external enclosure?  I'm currently leaning towards the Vantec =
Nexstar3 if my warranty would not be void by using the drive in an =
enclosure.

Thanks!   : )

dj
I think you need to read the warranties again!  It is my =
experience/belief that the warranty is ONLY good if it is used as an =
internal drive.  If YOU put it in an external case...all bets are off.  =
check the warranty=20
closely.

I have external drives and they are fine.  Seagate now comes with longer =
warranties on the externals too.

I also recommend Powered Fire wire drives as opposed to USB drives =
unless they are powered too.  You do not want to draw the power from =
your PC.

I am in a hurry.  I hope this info is clear...and not offensive.

I just want to save you money.....

Rose